Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Do I need a licensed locksmith for opening or changing locks in New York City?

Yes, the New York City Department of Consumers Affairs states that a person who performs the services of installing and opening locks must be licensed. For this purpose a licensed locksmith has a picture ID issued from the Department of consumers affairs. For this reason all our technicians have a picture ID license.

Can a locksmith copy a Restricted High Security Key with out the card?

No it is Illegal. Basically, a high security key will usually say, “Do not duplicate without card”. If someone you know is copying Restricted Keys you should report them.

What do I need to make a car key if I lost all keys?

If you lost all keys, you need the vehicle make and model as well as the VIN (vehicle identification number) and proof of ownership. Proof of ownership can be the registration and/or bill of sale. In some cases, you will have to fill out forms provided by the locksmith.

How can I prove ownership if I slammed my door shut and my keys and wallet are in my apartment?

The NYC law for locksmiths states that upon opening any locked door or device, etc, a locksmith must make two forms of effort for id. This can be calling a police officer in addition to the locksmith asking a neighbor to verify identity. Also please keep in mind a signature and proof of id is required by law. To see a copy of the law click here.